Ales4Females is a female only event hosted in the Left Hand Brewing Tasting Room intended to bring together a group of women that want to have a fun evening discussing beer and food pairings, hearing a guest speaker from within the industry, and developing each member’s palate.
Between July and August, we will be leading a paired presentation to explore the political and socio-economic environment that helped foster America’s current craft beer industry.
First up, Carl Rose will be leading our July presentations. Currently employed as a brewer at Left Hand, he has 5 years of professional brewing experience at a number of the best Colorado craft breweries. Before becoming a co-owner of LHB, he completed his Master’s degree in American History at the University of South Dakota. There he wrote his graduate thesis on “Brewing at Altitude: The Pre-Prohibition History of Colorado’s Brewing Industry, 1859-1916″ and taught college level Early American, American West, and Colorado History.
- Topic: Red, White + Brew: Colonial and Early American Beer + Brewing History
- Dates: July 11th, 18th and 25th
- Beer Pairing: Cask conditioned Extrovert IPA fermented with spruce needles and juniper berries
- Food Pairing: Georgia Boys BBQ Pork Sliders, coleslaw and BBQ beans.
- Vegetarian entrees available by request. Please email Ales4Females@lefthandbrewing.com to request an alternative entrée.
Following Carl in August is Kevin Purfurst. Kevin received his undergraduate degree in Political Science from the University of Colorado, his Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Colorado Denver and just completed his sixth year as a AP Government and Student Leadership teacher. Kevin’s presentation will build where Carl’s ends, and we will explore the circumstances that led us to Prohibition, the impacts of this nation-wide ban, and how this era shaped the American craft beer community we thrive in currently.
- Topic: Prohibition with Prof Purf – featuring Kevin Purfurst
- Dates: August 8th, 15th and 22nd
- Beer and food pairing: TBD, more information to come shortly.